Monday, November 2, 2009

Pyhä Päivää -- "Holy Day" or Halloween



Dear Family,

Yeah, I got the package today! It's the 2nd of Nov. yay!
Let's see, this past week was interesting. We ran around all week and got 4 new investigators or was it 6. Anyways, we dropped all of them but 1. And we will probably him too by the end of this week. It's like there is no one here who really wants to hear anything about religion at all. We've been told by all of the people who speak English that no one talks about religion. Yup, lots of slammed doors. But besides that this week has been going great.

Also, their Halloween is called Pyhä Päivää or holy day.... its a time when they respect the dead by lighting candles in the grave yards. I took some pictures for you. Also, I got some extra SD cards to send home with videos and recordings and I will probably send home a tape too. um... also, they have this kekripuki or goat that they make in the start of fall...dunno when. Then on Halloween, they light it on fire. It's sort of like celebrating the begining of winter. We didn't get to see the goat lite on fire. We had to go across town for more tracking. But, we didn't find anyone at home. They were all at the festival. But, I have a picture of it before they lit it up.

Also, zone conference is this weekend, so I will be traveling a bit. Yesterday, there was ice everywhere. Our bikes were a little hazordous. lol. My companion, Elder Henderson just about died 6 times. (Maybe these two should invest in studded bike tires...would they work on ice?)Well, yeah I think thats everything. By the way, the tape is good and I am enjoying it thouroughly. Thank you. I haven't gotten to read the letter just yet. But, will see if I can't write someing back before the end of today, via posti. Ok, I'm going to go check to see if you sent anything again. You said you were up at like 10 30 am, my time lol (BYW: I was up at 3:30 am Utah time--got to love those "night feedings"---I have to go to bed at 9:00 on Sunday..Linda)

Love Trevor



From Elder Henderson:

Dear Family, Thank you for the package and all of the good stuff. This week has been awesome. We were able to teach 8 times this week, meaning open, closing prayer, commitments. That is a teach. We taught one that is about 20 and he was taught before 2 years ago. We were pretty straight with him. He wants to talk about church, then hang out. I want to tell you what Finland nights are like. So, about 8'clock we have to stop tracting because it is the law. So picture us on a a 1932 Jupiter bike, toes frozen, chin numb, big grins on our faces, blue lightning helmet, leather gloves, fly jacket, conjugating a sentence, and peddling crazy in the muddy black streets through the forest from the neighborhood. The air smells like wood burning stoves and sometimes cooking; the smells at night are so good! Usually we buy some Kinder Chokolata, that is German. I usually buy a small chocolate stick on Mondays to split with my companion to give us a little boost to dominate the streets. We pull into the small city center that has about one street that goes right down the middle, park our Harley's (bikes) and talk to as many people who are sober and talkable.There was one lady that let us come back and teach her and she was sweet; she is an older lady who wears white gloves and is so happy. Her husband left her when she was young and then her son committed suicide. She fed us hot soup from meat that her neighbor shot and then we had to teach very tactful. She was happy to allow us to share our belief in God and we testified of Christ and the love God has for us. She didn't accept the message but I felt such a love for her. Sirppa was her name. Elder Christensen and I are eating well and working very hard. We have Zone Conference this week on Wednesday. Love, Äldste Henderson

No comments:

Post a Comment