Monday, October 18, 2010

10/18/10 Shroom Month...and All Saints Day

It was "shroom month" this month. Look out! their poisono

Hey fam,
Well this week was good and bad. ;) This week we finally decided to drop our investigator "P". He has been with us since I got here in Savonlinna and has slowly gotten better and better. But really he has had such a hard time with coming to church and not being afraid of his wife. She isn't happy about him being a member. So sadly, we will just start check up on him in a couple of weeks and keeping in touch now and then. :) We don't want to cause any problems, but we will leave the door open for him to contact us or other missionaries later. Thats the nice thing about backing off, you can always return later, but it doesn't work that way if they tell you to leave. Hopefully, he will recognize the difference when we aren't there.

And then, we also found some new people. This time, it is a young family who are from Burma. Weird huh. Anyway, they happen to already be Christian, so they get a lot of what we are talking about. So this week, we are meeting with them again and seeing how they doing with reading the pamphlet we gave them. Side note: the church still doesn't have a BOM in Burmese, so we are trying to teach them out of the gospel principles book.

Other than that there hasn't been any other new things happening here. It snowed here just last Wednesday, and we still have some snow around on the lawns. Because of this, I also changed out my tires for some snow tires that came with my bike. Yay. no sliding to my death this winter.

Also this week, we had a funny "run in" with a drunk guy behind a door. He came out and asked us if we were interested in seeing some witchcraft, and that he was a witch. Of course we said no, but it was really funny because he was trying to explain what a witch was to us and he used the holiday in which kids dress up as witches. He would say the finnish word for witch, and then he said in english "Easter". It took me a minute to remember that Easter is Halloween here in Finland ...only its not as big. (It's not Easter. It's called All Saints Day. In Finland there is not a tradition for children going door-to-door for tricks or treats on All Hallows Eve, such as Halloween in the United States (The closest tradition to Halloween in Finland is when children dress up like witches on Palm Sunday, and go from door-to-door collecting sweets). Don't worry though about sending some Halloween stuff, I'm sure my companion and I will love celebrating it anyway in our apartment. I didn't get the package yet actually, but I will keep aware for it. It will probably come some time within 1-2 weeks since you sent it. I've noticed it takes more time to come to Finland than leave though. FYI: change call is coming up this Saturday, so I might just get moved. Both me and Elder Slade are pretty sure that one of us will leave, seeing as we have had 3 changes together, and thats the usual longest for a companionship to last. I don't reallyknow what to say other than.... thanks a bunch for the package, pictures and the weekly letter.

I liked the insight too about the gospel principles class you talked about, Dad. It reminds me of something I learned on a different subject that I later applied to the basic principles of the gospel. If you remember... the scripture in James 2 talks about faith without works being dead. I made the comparison that we first need to have faith in a priciple of the gospel and then our actions must show that faith. For example... belief or faith in Christ leads to baptism. Thanks for sharing your spiritual highlight.

Well I love you all, can't wait until next week. Love Trev

Later email: I'm doing the normal stuff. It's late here though, so we will be headed out procelyting soon. And then another week. Oh, I bought a suit from a kirppu tori or a local DI kind of a store. plus some other small needed things for like 3 £!!! Good shopping! I'll send a picture of it next week, my computer here is on the frits. Actually I need to go, but have a good time in St George. I love you. (We emailed this week from St. George..Jason was participating in the State Golf Championship Tournament for 4A high schools.)
Oh, and ps. I got a letter from Cecilia last week. So we got that all good. I bet if you keep emailing her from time to time she would come visit. lol. She offered to let us come visit her in Sweden if you come to Europe. I can tell she really likes you and Linda.

No comments:

Post a Comment