Monday, October 19, 2009

Kajaani, Finland -- Week 2



Hi Family,

My companion’s name is Elder Henderson. We will have transfers every 6 weeks. So since I’ve been here for two weeks, I have a month left before transfers come for us. It’s quite safe to mail anything here. It’s a lot like Logan, so send anything you want to send. We are riding bikes now.


I just bought a bike this past week. We haven’t had much time to go site seeing. I haven’t been to the “castle”. There doesn’t seem to be much opportunity to really do service projects for people here. So we are mostly tracking and trying to find people who will let us teach them a discussion. There are only 22 members in our branch. Last Sunday, my companion and I did the whole sacrament meeting. We lead the music, my companion gave a talk, we did the special musical number and said the closing prayer. I met all the members the first week. It was a little overwhelming to meet them all at once and try to memorize all their names. I didn’t really understand what everyone was saying but they are very nice to the missionaries. Most people we met are nice, but they usually tell us they aren’t interested and just walk away. We taught one discussion this week to an older lady. She finally told us not to come back and that she didn’t believe the things we were teaching her. I guess she was just lonely and wanted some company. There are about 55,000 people here in our town. Logan feels a lot bigger than Kajaani. I haven’t tried any weird food. The food is very bland. They don’t have very spicy food and we aren’t eating tons of fish like we thought they would. They do celebrate Halloween here in Finland, but we aren’t supposed to participate. I’m not quite sure what it will be like. Some people try to speak English to us, but most everyone speaks Finnish. If we were in Helsinki, there would be more people who use English. Its humid here sometimes in the summer, but right now it isn’t. I didn't notice any stink coming from the paper mill factory. The fall leaves were gone when I got here, so I missed the fall season. Sorry. I would have sent a picture of those to the family. Well, I’ve written some letters. They should take about a week to get there. Thanks for everything you do for me.

I miss everyone…give Baby Kate a hug and kiss from me. Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment